Nursing Theories Applied to Practice Scenario
- Consider the resources you have engaged with in Units 5-7 and describe your epistemological nursing stance.
A good start is Thorne, S. (2020). Rethinking Carper’s personal knowing for 21st century nursing. Nursing Philosophy, e12307. https://doi.org/10.1111/nup.12307
- Select a nursing theorist, a classic one-Florence nightingale and a contemporary one-Patricia Benner’s Novice to Expert Model.
Refer back to Overview of Unit 7 for content on classic and contemporary theorists http://charon.athabascau.ca/cnhsgrad/nurs608_w2022/unit7.htm
Provide an analysis of the chosen theorist’s usefulness to you as a nurse by showing the applicability of your chosen classic or contemporary nursing theorist/theory to your current nursing role.
Your analysis should demonstrate:
- In what ways would the knowledge from your chosen theorist be helpful to you in your current nursing role?
- In what instances would this theorist’s ideas not be helpful to you in your current nursing role?
Prepare for this assignment by reviewing the literature for information about the theorists you choose related to:
- Key elements of their theory
- Application/utility of theory
- Strengths and limitations of theory
- References (APA format)
Scholarly paper (20/25):
- Describe your epistemological nursing stance and
- analysis of the applicability of your chosen nurse theorist/theoryto you as a nurse.
Barker, P., & Buchanan-Barker, P. (2008). Reclaiming nursing: Making it personal. Mental Health Practice, 11(9), 12-16.
Drew, S., Judge, A., May, C., Farmer, A., Cooper, C., Kassim Javaid, M., & Gooberman-Hill, R. (2015). Implementation of secondary fracture prevention services after hip fracture: A qualitative study using extended Normalization Process Theory. Implementation Science, 10(1), 1-8. doi:10.1186/s13012-015-0243-z